Judy L's UFO Challenge

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Friday REVERSE Fling

A good friend of mine passed away about six weeks ago.  I’ve been going to her home helping her daughter fold her fabric in preparation for a sale.  I practiced as much self restraint as I could but did set some things aside for myself which her daughter encouraged.

I helped her promote the sale and worked the sale Saturday.  I was overcome with such a feeling of sadness at all the fabric and other things sitting there.  I could only see them as unrealized dreams.  

I had a chance to talk about this with the daughter during slow times.  She told me her mother was happy.  That even though she didn’t sew everything, she did sew and she got to enjoy her things.  I was happy to hear her say this.

I’m working on getting more organized in a way that will allow me to still find my things.  I’ll continue to modify my behaviors in order to get more fabric out and less fabric in.  Getting it out may become making tops and sending them to subcontractors to get finished in addition to my own finishing efforts.  Also letting go of the leftovers instead of hoarding the scraps.

Her daughter ended up paying me by giving me the fabric I had set aside.  I did not need payment and expected to pay for the things.  I didn’t count the yardage but hope I can say it was less than 20 yards.


Sadly the sale contents only scratched the surface of what’s left to be sold.  There are still boxes full to go through, an 8x13 foot room full and there are plastic crates lining a wall.  I’m going to continue to help but am thankful I will be going on vacation for 2 weeks next month so only have to endure the temptation a few more weeks.  Please pray for my strength!

I did fling a few household items and am working diligently to fill another 2 boxes.  One is non-clothing items and the other is clothing.  Inch by inch life’s a cinch!

Happy flinging friends!

Swooze

4 comments:

patty a. said...

First, I am sorry for your loss. It is wonderful of you to help the daughter go thru the sewing materials and ready them for sale. That is a lot of work.

I have been trying hard too not to bring more in that what is going out. I haven't had much in the way of finishes this year although I have been busy. It sounds like you are trying hard and being very selective of what you are bring home.

Quiltdivajulie said...

One of our small quilting group ladies has Parkinson's and had to give up her home last year. She asked us to sell off her stash for $1/yard during our annual quilt show. She netted a couple hundred dollars (with minimal stash left behind) which was enough to add a small fridge and a few other niceties for her nursing home space. Our stash is our joy but becomes a challenge for others when we are finished with it. Kudos to you for helping your friend's daughter - hoping that time together is healing time for both of you.

Jocelyn said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. I lost my BFF 14 years ago, so I know what you are going through. I too, have felt the need to organize and not buy more fabric. I have way too much and will never be able to use it all up. I have been making pillowcases for Ryan's Case for Smiles, for children in the hospital and that has been good use of fabric. I also gave five full boxes of fabric to Project Linus. And still I have so much fabric left :-( It's good that you have been able to help the daughter. It brings healing and bonding with the time spent together.

Chantal said...

I'm sorry to hear about your lost. My thoughts are with you and sending you hugs.
I bought quite a few nice pieces from a man on the Internet who was selling his mother's stash after she had passed away. He measured each pieces, wrote the yardage on a piece of paper with the price. Then he took a picture and uploaded it. At first there was so many, it was overwhelming. In a matter of days, he had sold half of the mountain. Just saying. ;^)